Needs more Instructors and Examiners //
//REGULATOR ASSESSMENT TRAINING //
//TRAIN NOVICE DRIVERS FOR A FEE OR REWARD//
//MOTOR DRIVING INSTRUCTOR'S LICENCE//
Service SA website from DIT has detailed info on how to get MDI license.
Adelaide School of Driving can assist you in achieving practical driving assessment part of TLI41218 - Certificate IV in Transport and Logistics (Road Transport - Car Driving Instruction)
We can assist you to complete the Practical training/assessment side of TLI41218 course and also prepare you for the DIT Regulator Assessment in a Manual Car MAZDA CX-30 2021.
Regulator assessment is a practical test designed to check minimum standard of vehicle operation and driver training delivery expected from a motor driving instructor (MDI). In South Australia all applicants who wants to become an MDI must successfully pass a regulator assessment in DIT vehicle with a manual transmission before an MDI licence can be issued from Motor Registrar.
You must pass a DIT regulator assessment in the relevant class of vehicle, fitted with a manual transmission. The regulator assessment is broken into three main parts including:
(Subject to change without prior notice)
Driving to novice driver standard
Completing a commentary drive in which you identify and communicate road hazards and their context while driving; and
Training “tasks” from the relevant “trainee or learner guide”.
HOW TO BECOME A MOTOR DRIVING INSTRUCTOR(MDI) IN ADELAIDE?
Before an application for an MDI licence can be approved, you must meet following basic criteria:
- hold a current South Australian driver's licence
- have held an unconditional car licence for a minimum of two years with no disqualifications in that time
- have held an Australian licence, or a licence from an approved country, for four years with no disqualifications in that time
- demonstrate competency as a motor driving instructor. This involves
- holding a current Certificate IV in transport logistics - road transport driving instruction
- demonstrating an understanding of the Australian Road Rules by completing a road rules theory test
- completing a regulator assessment
- be a fit and proper person
Your application is unlikely to be accepted if you have:
- been convicted of any sexual, fraud, financial, violent, drug related or theft offences
- a history of driving offences, licence disqualifications or suspensions.
Detailed pathway to becoming an MDI:
1. Course and other documents:
- TLI41218 Certificate IV in Transport and Logistics (Road Transport - Car Driving Instruction). Theory/Assignments are done online/zoom/email through interstate RTOs and In Car practical training for this course will be provided by Adelaide School of Driving. Rough cost of the course can be around 4000.00 AUD - 7500.00 AUD based on your current driving skills for a Manual Car.
- a resume (196.4 KB PDF) with employment references
- a current (no more than three months old) national police check. Apply through SA Police or through organizations accredited by the Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission (ACIC). @60-100 AUD
- a current Working with Children Check (WWCC) or a Statutory declaration @100-200 AUD
- a Medical and eyesight certificate (5.3 MB PDF) for all licence classes. Consult your GP
- proof of identity (Passport, Driver’s License, Medicare Card, Citizenship Certificate Etc.)
- evidence of successfully passing the road rules theory test for MDIs. @90.00 AUD - 120.00 AUD
2. Apply via Service SA or Send an application via Post :
Fill out the application form available on Service SA website and lodge it at a Service SA customer service center with the supporting documents. Applications will be returned if they are not complete and the correct supporting documentation is not attached. Application can be sent via Aus Post as well on the listed address on the application form itself.
3. What happens next :
You will be notified by email to book a regulator assessment if all documents are meeting the requirement.
5. Practice for regulator assessment with professional. General driver with no experience to assessment/commentary drive procedure must undertake roughly 75-100 Hrs worth of professional driving lessons. Rough cost
6. Appear for regulator assessment with DIT as per set date.
Note: There will only be a limited number of attempts allowed at a Regulator Assessment for you to demonstrate competency. After any attempt your application may be referred to the Registrar of Motor Vehicles (the Registrar) for a decision on whether to progress your application.
If your application is denied and you intend to resubmit your application, it is strongly recommended that you seek additional training and mentoring to improve your skills before reapplying and recommencing the application process.
Please familiarize yourself with the attached Regulator Assessment process.
7. After passing the regulator assessment. If you meet the required standard in the regulator assessment that results in PASS then your application and supporting documentation will be sent to the registrar for consideration. If you application is approved you will then need to attend a Service SA customer service centre to pay the required licence fee. @540.00 for 5 years. You may also have your photo taken. Your photo identification MDI licence will be sent to you. This can take up to two weeks.
You cannot begin training clients until you receive your photo identification MDI licence, however you may use your digital licence and start the training.